I love this cold soup on hot summer days. It is a great way to get a couple of servings of vegetables in a different way. It is also all raw. And very tasty. Inspired by Rebar Restaurant.
- 3 vine ripened tomatoes (heirloom tomatoes are the tastiest)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 zucchini (about the size of the cucumber)
- 1 bell pepper (any colour)
- 1 bunch green onions (aka scallions)
- 1/2 jalapeño (up to a whole one depending on your preference)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/4 c rice wine vinegar
- juice of one lime
- 1 bunch each of Italian parsley and cilantro
- handful of basil leaves
Roughly chop all the vegetables (tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, bell pepper, green onions, jalapeño and garlic). Combine in a bowl with olive oil and vinegar and let marinate for at least two hours (overnight is better). Puree/blend vegetable mixture with herbs and lime juice. I’ve also thought about adding some spinach or kale but have yet to try it.
If you find the soup to be too acidic, you can add a bit of honey, or try a bit of coconut milk (this will give it a different flavour). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Chill and serve.