So I missed out on posting this yesterday – it was hectic. But here are the many ways I eat the fresh, organic zucchini that my garden has produced. Grilled, raw and baked.
Grilled zucchini are very versatile. Here are some ideas:
Grilled Veggie Stacks
These make an excellent side dish with a firm white fish or chicken or even a good steak.
- Slice equal amounts of zucchini, eggplant, red onions into 1/4″ rounds.
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Brush vegetables with oil (like coconut)
- Grill, turning once, until soft.
- Stack veggies and serve with a drizzle of basil vinaigrette or a balsamic vinaigrette.
As above, slice large zucchini into 1/4″ rounds and grill. Use as a “bun” for a burger.
Grilled Zucchini Roll-ups
You can so this with eggplant too, if zucchini are not available.
- Thinly slice zucchini lengthwise, discarding the outer edges (you know, the two slices that are all skin).
- Brush with oil and grill over medium high heat until soft.
- Let cool.
- Option A:
- If goat cheese is an acceptable diversion from your strict Paleo diet, then place about a teaspoon (no need to measure) of goat cheese, along with a mint leaf and roll up your zucchini strip. These make good appetizers. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Option B:
- Spread a thin layer of parmesan-free pesto on your grilled zucchini strip. Roll up and enjoy!
- Slice raw zucchini and ripe roma tomatoes in 1/4″ thick slices. Try to match the diameter of your zucchini and tomatoes.
- Use the zucchini on the bottom and add the tomato on top. For additional goodness, add a thin slice of avocado and top with basil vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately.
Zucchini, Garlic & Onions
- This one is simple but tasty.
- Chop one zucchini, slice one onion and dice a clove (or two or three) of garlic.
- Heat fry pan, wok or whatever, and add your choice of oil.
- Add garlic first but don’t let it brown.
- Add onions and cook until translucent, then add zucchini (stir fry until tender).
Ratatouille is also a hearty and delicious way to eat up zucchini. But I haven’t made any lately so no recipe.
Hope you enjoy the recipes. As always, if you try them, let me know how they turned out and if you did anything differently.
Thanks for stopping by!